Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Hat Off His Head

Azerbaijanis are know for being hospitable, and extending their generosity to their guests at any expense.  This goes way beyond the huge feast that is prepared and served when someone is "guesting."  These feasts can make an American Thanksgiving dinner look like a snack.

Early on during my stay in Xirdalan, a neighbor who noticed I was chilly one morning went into her house and came out with a sweater for me to wear.  I declined her offer of the bright yellow with black polka dots sweater, but appreciated the gesture of her trying to take care of me.
Recently my friend Tom  wanted a certain kind of hat.  A neighbor who speaks English started chatting with us as we walked home from school.   The neighbor was wearing the kind of hat Tom wanted, and Tom asked him where he got it so he could buy one himself.  The neighbor took his hat off and insisted on giving it to Tom.  This was the first time we had seen or talked to this man!  
I don't know if my last clothing related incident is related to the same kind of "caring" but it does show that Azerbaijani's are paying attention to us.   A woman stopped my friend Lindsay on the street today to point out that Lindsay had buttoned her coat wrong.




R

No comments:

Post a Comment